New Mission Temple was established in the 1970's when during the Southern Illinois Jurisdictional Holy
Convocation our founder Elder Herbert Purkett Sr. received a call from Jurisdictional Bishop Eleazar Lenox asking
him if he would take up the mantle and Pastor a church that was in need of leadership.
After prayerful consideration he accepted the call and was installed as the Pastor of the Rescue Mission Temple
Church of God In Christ by Bishop Eleazar Lenox. Then after his installation the name was changed and was
renamed as New Mission Temple Church of God In Christ.
Elder Purkett Sr.'s pastoral leadership began in the basement of a house at 1610 South St. Louis Street with only six
members and 18 children. These six member's included Mother Evonia Purkett, Mother Rosie Martin, Mother
Everlena Terry, Mother LaGroan, Mother Wright, Elder Purkett Sr. himself.
Pastor Purkett began his ministry through outreach and missions with goal in drawing more souls to Christ. He was a
firm believer that no one should be lost and from that day forward the church motto became "Rescuing the
Perishing". He also encouraged his congregation with anointed preaching, uplifting song, and dedicated fasting and prayer.
On August 8th, 2009 Supt. Herbert Purkett Sr. traded in his labor's for reward. During the churches' 39th Church
Anniversary Jurisdictional Bishop Hugh Cawthon installed Elder Herbert Purkett Jr. to the office of Pastor to
continue the work at New Mission Temple Church of God In Christ.